Topic: Embedding NFC reader into laptop

Hi all,

I'm thinking of embedding a NFC reader in my laptop - I have some room in my Macbook Pro 15" after replacing the optical drive with a hard drive (care of MCE Optibay)

The SCL3711 looks like I can fit, maybe the Snapper Reader as well if I can get its case off.

In theory a USB connection could be obtained by splicing the cable to the camera or preferably (but much more tricky) the IR receiver.

Any comments? I can see potential interference from the NFC field or too small a field being a problem, but I am not an expert on that (yet)

Re: Embedding NFC reader into laptop

Hello mcbridematt,

mcbridematt wrote:

In theory a USB connection could be obtained by splicing the cable to the camera or preferably (but much more tricky) the IR receiver.

Splicing ? Hmm, no. you couldn't add devices on USB without hub. You add pick the bus lines from camera or IR, and put it on NFC device but you can't plug 2 devices on the same bus lines.

mcbridematt wrote:

Any comments? I can see potential interference from the NFC field or too small a field being a problem, but I am not an expert on that (yet)

The place you choose (optical drive) is often wrapped with Faraday shield... means the 13,56Mhz field could be hard to propagate and maybe not enought to power on tag or to be detected by active target. But it may works.
BTW, you have a good idea and if you really want to integrate NFC into your laptop, you should consider the use of "external antenna" : a little wire with a special inductance, size, diameter, etc to propagate the field like its already done with Wifi adapter in laptops.

Romuald Conty

I meant I would take the USB connection from the camera or IR receiver (which I don't use at all), unless I could fit in a USB hub as well, there are some small hub IC's from FTDI and Atmel (but I don't quite have the expertise for that either)

I notice SCM has a SCL3711 module designed for embedding with an antenna interface as well

Hi,

For integration in a Laptop, the PN533 seems to be the most straightforward solution if a free USB interface is available. Please take care that metal in the proximity of the antenna will reduce the RF performance. Shielding the antenna with ferrite might be required. Shielding the antenna with ferrite will detune the original antenna matching and you should re-tune the antenna matching components (R,C) using exactly the final environment.

Cheers,
Fozzybear

@mcbridematt
ya i understand your condition regarding NFC reader with MAC..... let me provide you a website it wil help you in this case
www.nfc-reader.com/
you can get any kind of information regarding your problem through it. i hope it would be helpful too you

From my libnfc's developper point of view, don't use ACR122 or Touchatag devices, there is no full support in libnfc and the PCSC dependency is an headache.
Arygon provide some tiny OEM NFC reader.
http://www.arygon.de/

Romuald Conty

rconty... will it realy gona work??????? why should exactly we not use ACR122  ???

hemi wrote:

will it realy gona work?

What are you talking about ?

hemi wrote:

why should exactly we not use ACR122  ?

http://www.libnfc.org/documentation/har … patibility

ACR122 or similar (e.g. Touchatag) doesn't work correctly with libnfc: e.g. emulation is bogus, P2P should also be: we can abort any actions using ACR122.

Romuald Conty