1 (edited by bvernoux 2014-03-02 11:18:13)

Topic: HydraBus with HydraNFC, new open source HW for NFC

Hi,

I have developped a new Open Source hardware HydraBus with HydraNFC (shield for HydraBus) which can read/write/sniff/debug NFC cards with same possibility as proxmark (for NFC 13.56MHz) done with high end MCU (ARM Cortex M4F @168MHz).
The hardware HydraNFC use TI TRF7970A chipset for NFC.

The Hardware and Firmware are planned to be fully open source and soon available on GitHub github.com/bvernoux/hydrabus

You can register your interest on this project here hydrabus.com/?page_id=15
Developers are welcome !! I can even give free boards (production will start soon).

For more details on HydraNFC Shield see hydrabus.com/?page_id=30

This product could support libnfc in future, depending on feedback and interest.

Best Regards
Benjamin

Re: HydraBus with HydraNFC, new open source HW for NFC

Very interesting. Am I right that your board would not need standalone client like proxmark3 and it will be accessible via regular serial port/uart?

3 (edited by bvernoux 2014-07-14 08:17:40)

Hi noko,

noko wrote:

Very interesting. Am I right that your board would not need standalone client like proxmark3 and it will be accessible via regular serial port/uart?

The HydraNFC board is a shield (with external U.FL NFC antenna or SMA NFC Antenna as option as you need SMA cable) and requires a mainboard with MCU like HydraBus mainboard.

It will not need proxmark3 client as all is written from scratch with chibiOS OS (and optimized for STM32F4).

It is accessible through an USB port (when used with HydraBus) which act as an USB Virtual Serial Port/Virtual COM Port (and will require a VT100 Terminal like Putty).

It have also an autonomous mode(which does not require any external computer when used with HydraBus) to sniff NFC and store data in microSD (and later emulate or replay NFC cards or other features) with the help of a cheap external USB powerbank.

Note: The boards will be available in August 2014, the announcement will be done to users which have registered their interests (here hydrabus.com/?page_id=15) first then officially on hydrabus.com website.

Best Regards
Benjamin

4 (edited by noko 2014-07-14 10:48:22)

Sounds sexy. Hope hydranfc firmware would be more stable than proxmark3.

When it would be possible the see the code here https://github.com/bvernoux/hydranfc ?

I'm very exciting about your project and want to be among the first who get the boards.
It is possible to send it to Russia, Moscow?

Hi noko,

Thanks for your interest.

The code (for both HydraBus alone and HydraNFC) will be released (in github) in about one month, as I'm cleaning stuff and I plan to merge both firmware HydraBus (Alone) and HydraNFC in same firmware.

Also schematics/boards (CC BY NC) and shield template (CC BY SA) will be available.
I also plan to push a full dev environnement based on ChibiStudio (Eclipse+GCC ARM) pre-configured for HydraBus/HydraNFC Firmware.

The online shop(in china) will deliver HydraBus and HydraNFC (or both) to any country in world (including Russia, Moscow) with different shipping options.

Best Regards
Benjamin Vernoux

Hi,

Just a news:
The HydraNFC Shield + Antenna is now Available in SeeedStudio Online Shop : seeedstudio.com/depot/HydraNFC-Shield-and-HydraNFC-Antenna-p-1974.html

The HydraBus shall be available soon too.

Best Regards
Benjamin Vernoux

The main issue I see with this is the lack of software abstractions for low-level Mifare stuff.

For example, I see absolutely no sample code for authenticating with Mifare cards or reading their sectors, and looking at the (very slim) documentation for even basic things like reading card UIDs it looks like I have to implement the whole Mifare protocol myself.

In my opinion it's definitely not worth the time nor effort at its current stage - a Proxmark ends up way cheaper than the time I'd invest in developing the Mifare protocol for this device, so unless Proxmark-grade Mifare support is implemented, or at the very least LibNFC support, this device looks pretty useless.

Damaged wrote:

The main issue I see with this is the lack of software abstractions for low-level Mifare stuff.

For example, I see absolutely no sample code for authenticating with Mifare cards or reading their sectors, and looking at the (very slim) documentation for even basic things like reading card UIDs it looks like I have to implement the whole Mifare protocol myself.

In my opinion it's definitely not worth the time nor effort at its current stage - a Proxmark ends up way cheaper than the time I'd invest in developing the Mifare protocol for this device, so unless Proxmark-grade Mifare support is implemented, or at the very least LibNFC support, this device looks pretty useless.

Mifare protocol is not implemented in actual firmware and that will requires some work but if some developers are motivated and help me doing it (they can have free hardware) we really have more room (in flash for code and in SRAM and even for hard realtime streaming through USB/SDCard/SPI/fast UART up to 10.5Mbit/s) and power for future stuff compared to actual proxmark3 hardware (mainly the MCU which is slow and the memory too limited).
For information:
- Proxmark3 MCU is AT91SAM7S512 around 27MIPS (max Freq 55MHz ARM7TDMI )
- HydraBus STM32F405 around 210MIPS (max Freq 168MHz Cortex M4F)
If you check the peripherals you will see also the huge advantage of STM32F4 over the old AT91SAM7S512.

The main problem is lack of developer working on the project and ultra small community (active) around open source NFC development.

Anyway there will be some very good news soon as a developer work in background on NFC sniffer (based on HydraBus+HydraNFC) with a support in Wireshark for ISO14443A.

I plan also to add some features in the firmware (in my spare time as I gain no money on this project).

Best Regards,
Benjamin

Could there be a way for you to reuse the code from the Proxmark project ? Or at the very least create some code to integrate it with LibNFC ?

Good hardware is nothing without good software, and unfortunately not many developers have time to devote to open source projects. I wonder if you could up the price of the device to pay for your time developing the software..

Damaged wrote:

Could there be a way for you to reuse the code from the Proxmark project ? Or at the very least create some code to integrate it with LibNFC ?

Good hardware is nothing without good software, and unfortunately not many developers have time to devote to open source projects. I wonder if you could up the price of the device to pay for your time developing the software..

It is probably possible to reuse some part of code from Proxmark project, especially the Mifare emulation ...
About integration with LibNFC I doubt it is easily possible as LibNFC is linked to PN532 which is totally different when compared to TRF7970A.

I do not plan to raise the price as even less developer/tester ... will be interested to work on this project.

Best Regards,
Benjamin