1 (edited by djolemag 2014-08-19 06:32:12)

Topic: New PN533 USB Stick device, any experience?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought on Ebay device called
"NFC-Reader-Writer-PN533-NFC-USB-Dongle-libNFC-support-Made-by-D-Logic"
for modest price of 39$+Postage. They are also selling some kit with various tags "NFC-Development-Kit-NFC-Reader-Writer-NXP-PN533-USB-Stick-various-tags-set"

Manufacturer is giving no SDK, just pointing to LibNFC support.

However, device works well. Manufacturer claims it is developed under NXP's recommendations. It has small reading distance but I think it is due to small antenna dimensions.
I tried it on Windows 8.1 with LibNFC v1.7.1. I had to use zadig to install LibUSB drivers in order it to work, since Win8.1 does not allow you to use drivers without signature. I know it can be turned off, but this was more convenient way.

I tested it also with MFOC and it works without problems. With ACR 122U I had problems with MFOC so I had to use -force switch to make it work properly (meaning ACR 122).

With this device I didn't used -force switch and it worked okay.

Does anyone has experience with this device?

I had to open it, since it was in small fancy plastic housing smile It has PN533 chip inside. So it should be fully compatible with LibNFC, am I right?

Re: New PN533 USB Stick device, any experience?

Did you find an answer to your question? Also, if you could point me to some windows binaries/tools/resources I'd be very happy - complete newbie with this but have the same usb dongle you have.

Yes, as I said, I found solution for Windows 8.1 using Zadig driver installer (zadig[dot]akeo[dot]ie, installed as  libusb driver. Tried libnfc 1.7.1 for Windows and everything works.
Tried MFOC for windows (not the real MFOC but some application that cracks OV_chipkaart but it also dumps other Mifare 1K 4K cards) and it works well.
Also tried at Linux (Kali) with libnfc and MFOC, it works like charm.
It has small antenna so reading range is little shorter. Since the device is also small, reading range is more than enough.
Tried with few different cards at the same time, generally anticollision is good, can detect 4 different cards. Of course, they must not be exactly overlapped (card antennas must not match exactly, one card on top of the other).
So, conclusion is that device is very good for that amount of $$.

djolemag wrote:

Yes, as I said, I found solution for Windows 8.1 using Zadig driver installer (zadig[dot]akeo[dot]ie, installed as  libusb driver. Tried libnfc 1.7.1 for Windows and everything works.
Tried MFOC for windows (not the real MFOC but some application that cracks OV_chipkaart but it also dumps other Mifare 1K 4K cards) and it works well.
Also tried at Linux (Kali) with libnfc and MFOC, it works like charm.
It has small antenna so reading range is little shorter. Since the device is also small, reading range is more than enough.
Tried with few different cards at the same time, generally anticollision is good, can detect 4 different cards. Of course, they must not be exactly overlapped (card antennas must not match exactly, one card on top of the other).
So, conclusion is that device is very good for that amount of $$.

Thanks,

I've got the dongle up and running and I've been able to read/dump/crack my house key. However, I haven't found something that'll write nfc from a windows computer...