1 (edited by kushal 2011-12-26 12:23:01)

Topic: ABSULUTELY BEGGINING NFC

Hi, I'm a senior undergraduate student and would like very much to base my project for the final year around NFC. I am planning a sort of a student card that holds the information of student and also the same card would be able to store library info. so in a sense a single card can do it all.

So here's my plan..
A Mifire card ( classic ? i read that the security of this is already cracked....bt just for demo i can use it right?
A PN532 breakout board

And next i'd like the card to be read by a PC which i presume can be done connecting the breakout board with a FDTI cable and ...Am I right that THIS is where i need libnfc library ( is it not a sort of driver for NFC chips...) and write my own part of the code that maintains database about student library info and all..
Oh yes !! i should also be able to write the data to card about the book issued and due date etc..i am certain that's not too difficult once acceced with a computer...

But along with this i'd also like to use it on standalone environment..say as attendance where the microcontroller simply displays ( or records ) the name and roll number of student..where unlike in library there is no need of a PC...I've come to understand that it can also be done by connecting to my favourite microcontroller via UART with the PN532 breakout board.
Now how do i program it for standalone environment ?? Can i use libnfc then??

I know that i might be seriously wrong on some issues..please donot hesitate to use any rough language if you feel the need to. And i know it'd be better if i bought all those and start playing around with it...then the questions would be relavant...but i live in nepal and i have to go through a painful process to get the card and the breakout board..and i cant afford to buy it if the project i am planning is way out of my range..or simply not possible..
So please answer as much as you can...with any other things i need to know.that i might have completely forgotten to ask..

Most imporatantly can such project be done..reading from PC ( i guess that's the easy part right?) and microcontroller on a standalone environment..simultaneously..from a single card...

forgive my weird abbv. of computer as PC....and anything else that might have bothered you smile
Thanks a lot in advance !!!

Re: ABSULUTELY BEGGINING NFC

Hi,

kushal wrote:

A Mifire card ( classic ? i read that the security of this is already cracked....bt just for demo i can use it right?

Just for demo, yes but remember Mifare Classic is clonable.

kushal wrote:

And next i'd like the card to be read by a PC which i presume can be done connecting the breakout board with a FDTI cable

Yes

kushal wrote:

Am I right that THIS is where i need libnfc library ( is it not a sort of driver for NFC chips...) and write my own part of the code that maintains database about student library info and all..

libnfc is a kind of Hardware Abstraction Layer for NFC chips that expose synchronous functions to drive it.
To drive Mifare Classic, I recommend you to use libfreefare on top of libnfc : it provides C functions to do almost all things possible using Mifare tags.

kushal wrote:

I've come to understand that it can also be done by connecting to my favourite microcontroller via UART with the PN532 breakout board.
Now how do i program it for standalone environment ?? Can i use libnfc then??

The simpliest way is to use a Linux embedded platform connect to PN532 using UART. This way, you could keep libnfc as it, libfreefare too, and the code you wrote on PC.

kushal wrote:

Most imporatantly can such project be done..reading from PC ( i guess that's the easy part right?) and microcontroller on a standalone environment..simultaneously..from a single card...

I'm not sure to understand : would you like to double-access using two NFC devices as initiator on one tag at the same time ? If so, that's not possible.

Romuald Conty