Topic: How to write NDEF data into Mifare Classic 1k/4k

Hi all,

I was trying to write the example NDEF data that is present at the below link in Mifare 1K tag.

But when I try to read with my Tag read application (Propritory), it is saying NDEF data not found.
Is there any procedure to write the NDEF data into Mifare1K?
If you have any example NDEF raw data, pls provide me.

Note: I started writing the NDEF data from the Block 1 of Sector 0 (as Block 0 of the sector 0 contains "Manufacturer data".
I am using ACR 122 tag reader/writer.

Thanks,
Nagendra

2 (edited by rconty 2011-01-11 16:49:59)

Re: How to write NDEF data into Mifare Classic 1k/4k

nagendra wrote:

Is there any procedure to write the NDEF data into Mifare1K?

Short answer:
Yes, there are many procedures and datasheets to follow to be able to write an NDEF content in a Mifare Classic.

Long answer:
At start, to put NDEF content that can be readed by other readers, the tag have to be NFC Forum compiliant.
To bring Mifare Classic as NFC Forum enabled tag, you have to follow the dedicated application note:
"Mifare Classic as NFC Forum Enable Tag" from NXP.

This application note explain how to use MAD and Mifare Classic sectors in order to put NDEF content in sectors, so you need to know about MAD, by reading (and implementing) "MIFARE Application Directory (MAD)" from NXP.

These files are also useful:
Mifare Std as NFC Forum Enabled Tag - Extensions for Mifare standard 1k/4k as NFC Forum Enable Tag (v.1.1, 2010-10-01)
NXP Type MF1K/4K Tag Operation - Storing NFC Forum data in Mifare Standard 1k/4k (v.1.1, 2010-10-01)

Once you have a tag that can handle NDEF content, you need to learn how to forge NDEF message, that contains NDEF records. To do this, you need to read NFCForum-TS-NDEF_1.0 from NFCForum and you need to understand types described in :

• NFCForum-SmartPoster_RTD_1.0,

• NFCForum-TS-GenericControlRTD_1.0,

• NFCForum-TS-RTD_1.0 and

• NFCForum-TS-RTD_Text_1.0

Finally, I should point to you two projects that you can be interested in :
- libfreefare, that allow mifare manipulation and provide an example to write ndef on Mifare Classic and Mifare DESFire tag.
- libndef that enable you to simply manipulate NDEF messages and records in Object Oriented way.

I hope it helps.

Romuald Conty

If you are looking for Mifare Classic dumps that contains NDEF message, you can find some in nfc-tools project: http://code.google.com/p/nfc-tools/sour … runk/dumps

Romuald Conty

Thanks for your information rconty.... :-)

Previously posted NXP's links are now dead. Google helps me to find these documents:
MIFARE Classic as NFC Type MIFARE Classic Tag (Rev. 1.2 - 3 May 2011)

Mifare Std as NFC Forum Enabled Tag - Extensions for Mifare standard 1k/4k as NFC Forum Enable Tag (Rev. 1.1 — 21 August 2007)

Remember that libfreefare offers an example to write NDEF Message to a Mifare Classic tag.

Romuald Conty